Surgery

 Yesterday, February 21, 2022, I had surgery. I had a huge ovarian cyst (around 17 centimeters) that more than likely caused an ovarian torsion. The surgery I had was to take not only the cyst out, but the bad ovary, and the fallopian tube out. 


Dr. Shah at the cancer center at St. Vincent's in Downtown Birmingham did a fabulous job at taking it out and keeping my sweet husband, Patrick, updated while I was in the OR and recovery rooms. Everyone was incredibly kind, patient, and sweet. 


The nursing staff, the anesthesiologist, my doctor, everyone explained everything to me in a way that my ADHD brain could understand. It helped that I have medical experience, though. They still put it into a language that not only I could understand, but that my husband could understand. (Patrick has zero medical experience.)


I am in the middle of healing. I'm sore and i already knew to expect that. I've been up walking every so often as to not get super stiff. Also, the walking should help keep any blood clots away. It will also help with the soreness that I am feeling. 


I also went to bed at a decent time last night (all the meds that were still in my system made me real sleepy), but I ended up waking up at 1:45 this morning. I just cant go back to sleep for some odd reason. I hate that I couldn't go back to sleep.


Reason I woke up so damn early is because I had to use the bathroom. My bladder was SO full that it made it a little painful to move, etc. But I made myself get up and go. 


I go back to work on the 24. Today is going to be learning how to keep my pain/soreness under control and tomorrow will be just making sure I can keep it under control. I can't pick anything up for a week and a half. 


I'm a manager, so there's stuff that needs to be picked up. I will have to ask the associates to pick stuff up for me. The day I go back to work, which is on Thursday, is truck day. The associate that I have that puts up truck is usually willing to grab my frozen soups for. Especially the cases of soup. 


All I know is that I cannot pick up ANYTHING at all. I can get my peeps at work to help me out. 


As far as the surgery went, it went good from my understanding. They gave me versed as they were pushing me down to the OR. Versed is a med to help me forget the intubation, etc. And he worked GREAT. All I remember is being wheeled to the OR and scooting over to the bed in the OR. I remember them putting the oxygen mask on my face, and then I remember waking up in recovery. I don't remember ever falling asleep or anything. Just them telling me to take some deep breaths. 


When I got to the recovery room, it took me a few minutes to really notice where I was. Which is 100% normal. I woke up with a nasal canula in my nose for oxygen as I was waking up. My catheter was also out of me. I didn't get sick from the meds, thankfully. The anesthesiologist was kind and made sure that I had enough meds on board to keep me from waking up thru surgery, especially with this being my FIRST EVER surgery. 


I am beyond grateful for the entire staff, from my OBGYN Dr. Francillion, to my surgeon, Dr. Shah, to the entire nursing staff, and not to forget the ER doctor that initially diagnosed me. He helped get things rolling for me as far as this cyst is concerned. I can't say thank you enough to these folks. They definitely are amazing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Cry's

Kinda sad too